The marketing sector can be a complicated place as new marketing tools and techniques are launched, almost on a weekly basis. Powered by The Drum Network, this regular column invites The Drum Network's members to demystify the marketing trade and offer expert insight and opinion on what is happening in the marketing industry today that can help your business tomorrow.
Increasing visibility for AllClear in the crowded Travel Insurance market
AllClear’s mission is to help anyone to get the insurance they want and need. Specialising in catering for customers with pre-existing medical conditions, AllClear covers people who have a range of over 1,300 different conditions and has helped cover more than 2.5 million people since 2000. The travel insurance specialist is passionate about offering value to customers of any age, with any condition.
AllClear approached Found with the brief to to ramp up its organic presence. Historically, it had been heavily reliant on PPC to drive conversions and traffic but now needed a more focused strategy, as well as dedicated and specialist SEO assistance, so that it could retain and grow its foothold in the fiercely competitive travel insurance space.
A strategy was needed that would enable AllClear to outrank its core competition whilst also ensuring its site consistently drove organic conversions with the clear aims being:
- Increase organic revenue by 50% YoY
- Grow organic traffic by 40%
- Increase awareness of the brand for comparison, age and cancer/medical condition related keywords
Three distinct parts made up the new strategy:
- Thorough audience analysis, site audit & keyword research
- Technical Fixes and Crawl Budget Optimisation
- Site improvements and Answer Box Targeting
With the following core objectives:
- Increase visibility to core target pages with ‘Medical conditions’, ‘comparison’ terms and ‘age’ related keywords being the focus
- Make site content more accessible, especially with the older demographic the site is targeting
- Align content to be informed by audience and keyword analysis as well as focused to business goals
- Cost effectively utilise longer tail keywords to attract new users
- Achieve a targeted approach to link acquisition, specifically focused on the commercial landing pages
Audience Analysis & Keyword Research
AllClear has a distinct audience, with its services targeted at an older demographic and those with pre-existing medical conditions. However, there is always value in thorough audience analysis.
An in-depth report using GA and GWI turned up many clichés about AllClear’s target audience, many of which helped to reinforce the team’s suppositions, but it also turned up some hidden gems that helped Found tailor the new strategy, including:
- Higher than expected mobile device usage - for research and conversion stages
- A highly money conscious audience - reflected in their search habits
In order to understand the space fully, Found then researched and categorised over 4,500 relevant keywords to give the team a thorough understanding of where AllClear was currently ranking.
Using this information, Found benchmarked AllClear against its top competition using an industry SERP click through rate model to estimate its organic traffic from the target keyword set.
‘The key outcome here was understanding not just what the competition were ranking for, but why they were ranking.’
Technical Fixes and Crawl Budget Optimisation
Found audited AllClear’s website for any technical inhibitors, putting together a list of issues that should be fixed, with a priority order to ensure the most important elements were addressed first.
The high priority issues attributed greatly to the initial keyword improvement Found saw on the account, and the biggest wins came from the following projects:
- Website Menu Restructure:
Both users and search engines need to be able to navigate a website easily. At the time on the AllClear website, the main navigation only included a very top-level service offering. The team made changes to:
- Improve internal linking between pages, passing link authority to deeper pages on the website, to help boost the keywords associated to that landing page.
- Give greater visibility to users of all the core services that AllClear has to offer, to aid conversion rate, as users find what they need faster.
- Rework the navigation completely for mobile devices to ensure that both users and search engines alike could efficiently reach the content they looking for.
- Broken Backlinks:
Not maintaining your backlinks can lead to a loss in page authority and a drop in rankings. While conducting a link analysis, the team discovered external backlinks pointing into ‘CGI-BIN’ and other types of URLs, however some of these pages no longer existed. This meant all the page authority that was built up overtime was not being utilised effectively. To claim the lost link authority, Found provided 301 redirects for all broken backlinks.
- Answer Box Capturing:
Often eclipsing organic results in ‘position zero’ at the top of the SERPs, capturing an answer box for a searched question can bring increased clicks and highly relevant traffic to a website.
Found highlighted 68 answer box opportunities and changed the onsite content structure based on the competitor that was currently capturing the position zero result. After all the changes were made, the team managed to attain 41/68 answer boxes for some high value keyword such as:
- Onsite Content Optimisation:
Metadata was also enhanced and focused per-page based on what the team had learnt from the audience and competitor analysis. In total, over 300 pages were optimised based on organic search opportunity including stronger keyword targeting and call to actions to the metadata, such as ‘compare quotes’, ‘5 Star Defaqto Rated’ and ‘99% applicants are offered cover’.
A strategy was developed to outrank AllClear’s core competition and in just over nine months the team already smashed the targets set:
• Increased AllClear’s organic revenue by 86% YoY.
• Increased AllClear’s organic traffic by 43% YoY.
• Increased 427 high traffic/relevant keywords into the top 10 of Google.
Google Analytics: April – December 2018 vs 2017
Overall, the more focused SEO strategy boosted AllClear’s digital strategy, with visibility on non-branded terms alone increasing by 292%.
Bhavek Rughani, head of marketing at AllClear, said:
“AllClear have been working with Found for the last year and since then our organic rankings and traffic have grown exponentially. Their expertise in SEO (technical and content) is impressive and we consider Found now an extension of our team. They work closely with the whole marketing team, IT and many other parts of the business, even providing useful feedback for CRO and better UX. In a nutshell, we are extremely happy with our current relationship with Found and not least but last, they are nice people to work with.”
Have your say
Do you have a strong opinion on a topical industry issue? To submit a comment piece, please send a short summary of your idea to firstname.lastname@example.org. Views of writers are not necessarily those of The Drum.